|E. R. Squibb and Sons|
In 1944 Squibb opened the world’s largest penicillin manufacturing plant. In 1953, Squibb Corporation was acquired by the conglomerate Olin Mathieson Chemical Corporation. When Olin spun the division off in 1968, its manger Richard Furland became the head of the independent Squibb Corporation.
Furland transformed Squibb and placed it solidly on the prescription drug path, not by acquisition but by reinforcing internally its technical and functional capacities.